Musicians interested in playing with the Gold Coast Philharmonic Orchestra are invited to send an “expression of interest”. Positions in the orchestra are by invitation, determined by the Conductor, Concertmaster and the section leader and are subject to vacancies in the sections. N.B. a current minimum playing standard of at least AMEB grade 6 or equivalent is an expectation if applying.
Please be sure to include the following details in your expression of interest:
- Level: (AMEB or equivalent)
- Other instruments:
- Are you a resident of the Gold Coast or surrounding area? Yes/No
To express your interest in playing should a vacancy occur please contact The Gold Coast Philharmonic Society Inc. through the contact form on this site.
“The orchestra is a community run organisation made up of local professional and high-skilled amateur adult musicians. I am very conscious of maintaining the balance of a symphony orchestra and therefore find it necessary to restrict performer membership to the number of positions for each instrument. For each concert season the existing performer members are given the opportunity to sign on for the concert season and then if there are vacancies, the concert master, section leader and I will review the expressions of interest with the view to inviting a new member into the orchestra”.
All players and members of the Philharmonic Society participate for the love of music both as an opportunity to play and perform high quality orchestral music and as a social network of orchestral music lovers. A membership fee of $60 per annum is required if performing in the Gold Coast Philharmonic Orchestra. Pro-rata rates are applicable if performing for only one concert season.
The Conductor publishes a rehearsal schedule with the concert program and rehearsal and performance dates prior to each concert season.
Players being offered a place should:
- Be able to commit to a majority of the rehearsals (we understand that we are all volunteers and we have day jobs but the success of the group and the pleasure of making music is in the regular rehearsal commitment)
- Pay the membership fee to assist with the paying of insurances, providing music and rehearsal venue.
- Commit to practicing their part and playing it to the best of their ability and to the satisfaction of the section leader.
- Commit to and attend the performances.
- Encourage audiences at the concerts. This keeps our membership fees low.
Vacancies (as of July 2016)
- Double Bass
- French Horn
- Percussion (drum kit)
Rehearsal Venue – Gold Coast Youth Orchestra Centre
Community Drive, Ashmore
View Larger Map
The orchestra rehearses here on Thursday evenings 7.30 – 9.30 pm.